Eric Postpischil's Policies and Legal Notices
This page contains policies and legal notices that apply to both my various
electronic resources (computer, subdomain, network service, et cetera) and my
interactions with businesses, agencies, and other organizations.
Acceptable Use Policy
- If you are a real person (an individual writing socially
and not in commercial, political, or other organized activity):
- Please feel free to read my web pages and
send me some email.
- Most of the terms here are not aimed at you. I want
individuals to feel welcome but had to add these legal terms to keep
businesses and others at bay.
- If you are in the chocolate business or are a chocolate
- You are welcome to
send me email
- If you are acting for another business, are in any way
engaged in commercial activity, or otherwise not covered above:
- You are welcome to
send me one brief individually addressed email
(Except, if you obtained my address under restrictions on how you may
use it, this invitation does not apply.)
- Potential employers are welcome to contact me about
- Solicited email is welcome, of course. If I have
requested a transaction with you, obviously you may contact me about it
as necessary and reasonable, until I inform you otherwise.
- For other use of my system, fees will be charged. I have
made this policy because of increasing junk email. When you use my
computer and computing resources by transmitting unsolicited commercial
email, you will be billed at the rate of $125/hour, with a four-hour
- Legal notices should not be sent by email.
- Email sent to this domain becomes the property of Eric
Postpischil. I may copy and publish it freely except by prior agreement. If
your organization appends a notice to your email asserting any restrictions
on its use or distribution, that notice is void.
Copyrights and Archiving
- You may link to my web pages. (Please link to HTML pages, not directly to image files.)
- All copyrights are reserved.
- Individuals may print my web pages for personal
non-commercial use. If you would like to email a page to a friend, please
send a link, not a copy of the page.
- An employer may print copies of and
email my résumé within their company for use in
- A teacher or student may use up to ten of my web pages
(including the embedded images at their embedded sizes) or images (at their
full sizes or smaller) in one course for not more than six months. Credit
me (Eric Postpischil) and my web site and include a link either to the main
page (http://edp.org) or one of my site's HTML
pages (URL ending in ".htm" or ".html") that is relevant
to the material you use. If many people might access the material (for
example, you will post the material on a public web server that might
receive a lot of traffic), then copy the images to your web server, rather
than linking to them on my web server, but still include the credit
- My web pages may not be modified in any way other than the
normal variations of rendering pages for display, printing, or other access
by a user. In particular, my web pages may not be modified by censorship
or screening software, including but not limited to truncation, omission of
material, or substitution of material with indications of omission.
Especially, my pages may not be modified by the modification or addition of
links or the insertion of advertising.
- Robots serving indices such as Google and that are available
to the public for free and that obey the robots.txt protocol may copy my
web pages as needed for indexing but not for archival.
- All other permission to copy my web pages and Usenet postings
is denied, especially to robots and archival operations.
- Telemarketers, do not call. All direct marketers, by phone,
mail, or other means, and for products, services, or participation in any
activity may be charged $500 per incident for use of my time and
Electronic Notices and Signatures
- Electronic notices may be sent to me as a courtesy only. An
electronic notice is not notice for legal purposes in the absence of my
prior explicit consent to receive the particular notice electronically and
evidence indicating that I specifically read it, including particularly the
notice itself and not merely the email that contained it. Web site changes
without proven notice to me or not in a format readable by my software do
not constitute notice. Since electronic communications are not durable,
originals, retransmissions, or paper copies must be available to me on
- Legal notices are not
accepted by email due to reliability, security, and authentication issues.
Notices must be sent by mail. The sender cannot rely
on delivery of notice by email since email messages may fail to be
transmitted through spam filters.
- I currently do not use an electronic signature for legal purposes. I have a VeriSign email certificate I will consider using by request and prior arrangement.
Goods and Services
- All merchants warrant their goods and services shall be fit
for the purposes sold and will, at my option, refund, replace, or repair
defective products. This is regardless of any disclaimer by the merchant
not expressly agreed to in writing by me. Such expression must be
particularly affirmative of the disclaimer; I do not agree to disclaimers
that merely are posted or printed as part of a form.
- I do not indemnify any party for anything.
- Software sold to me is subject to the terms of my Software Vendor License Agreement.
- Agreements asserted as an implicit part of my actions
intended for other purposes are denied. This includes, but is not limited
- Fetching web pages does not constitute agreement to any
- Entering an airport or other location does not constitute
consent to be searched.
- Purchasing a product does not constitute agreement to any
- All "licenses" hidden inside packaging are denied. Sale of
software to me is subject to terms of my Software Vendor
- I do not agree to any documents or terms that have not been
actually presented to me, on paper that I can read at my leisure or in
electronic form under my control (for copying, viewing at a size of my
choice, printing, storage, and so on).
- Notices are deemed received when received. Duh. Lawyers that
write clauses that say notices are deemed received when sent are jerks.
More about notices is above under Electronic
Personal Information and Privacy
- I generally do not seek to collect personal information about
my web visitors and receive personal information only when you specifically
send it to me, as by sending email. You can figure I will handle your
information as a real person and not as a business—I do not sell or
rent information, and so on.
- All personal information collected from or about me is given
for one specific purpose only and shall not be transmitted to other parties
or used for other purposes without explicit permission. Only custody of
this information is given to a merchant or similar party; ownership remains
- All data generated by me, such as web page activity, is
proprietary to me and is shared with web servers only for the instant
purpose of communication and may not be aggregated, collected, sold, or
Terms Subject to Change
- All of my policies and notices are subject to change without
Maintained by Eric Postpischil.